Wednesday, December 13, 2006

1. Nepal: The Motivation

In 1997 I spent several weeks in Ladakh. Ladakh is a high plateau situated between the Kashmir valley and Tibet. In many ways the people, religion and the culture is very similar to that of Tibet. While travelling there and ever since, I have wanted to do a long hike in the Himalayas.

The dream became a reality when one of my friends informed me of a plan being hatched by his officemate. The plan was to do a three week trek in Nepal. It would involve going around a mountain peak named Manaslu (8150 metres). I was interested but not sure if I could do it. Especially since my wife, Geeta was training for the marathon at the same time. In an exquisite exhibition of marital resonance we decided that we could indeed realize both our dreams.

From then on, it was a matter of dividing time for training towards our individual goals, acquiring suitable gear, egging each other on to do better than their best.

No comments: